Climate Change poses one of the greatest threats to marine environments worldwide. This presents a global issue which is placing increasing pressure on the welfare of whale populations and requires global action. According to research completed by the International Fund for Animal Welfare, several of the major concerns arising from climate change include:
- The loss of food resources on which whales depend on,
- Changes to the numerous food chains of the entire ocean,
- Impacts on whale migratory paths and further consequences for their breeding grounds.
As a responsible service provider, Spirit of Gold Coast cares for the marine environment and takes steps to support it in order to help protect the home for our Majestic Gentle Giants.
Measures Spirit follows to reduce our impact on climate change:
- Minimize waste, recycle and use recycled products and materials wherever possible.
- Taking measures to reduce our carbon footprint, for example, participating in local beach clean-ups whenever possible.
- Servicing our vessel regularly to maintain optimum fuel efficiency.
- Providing ongoing financial assistance to marine conservation projects and supporting community fundraising events, for example, www.seashepherd.org.au.
Spirit would like to share with you some measures that YOU can follow, to help take a step towards a sustainable environment. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
- Increasing environmental practices, such as using energy saving appliances, low energy bulbs, reduction of waste and litter, and using environmentally friendly detergents in your daily routine.
- Choosing to measure travel emissions through organizations such as Climate Friendly, who provide emissions calculators and offsets which contribute to the growth of renewable energy.
- Supporting tour operators who have achieved and display the Ecotourism Certification Logo. This certification allows travelers to Australia to identify and support operators who meet the benchmark, ensuring tourism products have minimal impact on the environment.
- Becoming involved and supporting the work of not for profit conservation organizations.
- Register yourself to the Global Goals Organisation (www.globalgoals.org), which will help you let the world know where you stand and what measures you take to support the environment.
Other measures that everyone can follow in their daily lives to play their part in helping the environment:
What is one change that you can make in your everyday life, to help take a step towards caring for nature?